When us human or two-legged folks. Feel some pain, we automatically tend to rake some medications or pain relievers, but what about if we own or adopt a dog or a pet, should we give our pets medications or not? , well some commonly used medicines are considered to be safe for humans but on the other hand, they are very toxic to pets.
Ibuprofen As Pain Reliever
Regarding pain relievers, needless to say, and mention that Ibuprofen is considered to be one of the most popular human pain relievers in the world, it is also one of the most commonly purchased pain medication ever among all people in the world, that’s why, you will always find a steady supply of ibuprofen lurking in your medication counter in your home, as for humans, it is always the answer to any kind of pain you may suffer from.
Ibuprofen For Dogs
Well, but what about dogs and pets? Imagine this situation: if you have a dog which is limping or suffering from arthritis, or from any kind of muscle pain, what should you do in this case ? is it okay to give your pet or dog ibuprofen or not? well if you are a dog owner and considering giving this kind of medication to your dog, now this article is just for you, so no worries, as in this topic we will reveal if is it okay to give our furry four-legged dogs ibuprofen or not? , in addition to focusing on how dangerous the ibuprofen can be to your dog, and its consequences, along with many more to be mentioned, so keep calm and check this article… Let’s get started xoxo.
So the first point that we should cover in this article which is .. is it safe to give my dog ibuprofen medication or not? , so the short and clear answer is no, ibuprofen is not safe at all to your dog.
Can I Give My Dog Ibuprofen?
Short Answer is No you cannot give it to your Dog Well, this is because, ibuprofen is considered to be a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug that plays a crucial role in inhibiting enzymes that produce prostaglandins, which contribute to inflammation, this drug is safe for people to use, but it can be fatal and toxic to dogs and pets.
So, the next point is .. what are the risks, dangers, and probably side effects of giving dog this medication?
How Dangerous Is Ibuprofen For Dogs?
It is important to know that even the small doses of ibuprofen can have severe effects on your dog, it is important as well to consider that Ibuprofen poisoning is very common, and it has many signs and symptoms that may include the following :
- Loss of bladder control
- Blood in urine
- Blood in stool
- Dry eyes
- Muddy gums
- Difficulty breathing
- Intestinal inflammation
- Gastric ulcers
- Muscle tremors
But the question is what are the causes and reasons behind this kind of poisoning?
Causes Of Ibuprofen Poisoning In Dog
Sadly, this medication helps in blocking enzymes that are responsible for causing inflammation, ibuprofen as well blocks enzymes that are used to control normal gastrointestinal and kidney function, and in dogs and pets this medication is recycled in the body via the liver, and this recycling allows is responsible for the poisoning effects.
So, how this poisoning can be treated?
How Can I Treat Ibuprofen Toxicity In Dogs?
- First, if you believed that your dog has taken me ibuprofen, and then you noticed the signs and symptoms mentioned above or anything that can be unusual, you have to contact your vet as soon as possible.
- You also may apply some treatments like induced vomiting at home with hydrogen peroxide, or use apomorphine to induce vomiting, your dog as well may need activated charcoal in order to absorb any excess ibuprofen poison in the stomach, moreover, in some cases using a treatment like pumping the stomach may also be necessary, along with Anticonvulsant medications that may be necessary if seizures occur.
And now, it is the time to look for some alternatives and options:
Ibuprofen Alternatives For Dogs
- Of course, take it as a general rule that you need to contact your vet and ask him- her before giving any kind of medication or treatment to your dog, also it is important and crucial to consider that the best treatment will mainly depend on the type of pain or condition that your dog is suffering from:
- So you may use some medications like Rimadyl, Etodolac, and Meloxicam to treat pain. Also, it is kinda safe to use some treatments that may include Gabapentin, Prednisone, or Tramadol, too.
- In addition, you may use some techniques like acupuncture, hydrotherapy, massage, weight control, exercise, and dietary changes, and all of these can all help treat chronic painful conditions, such as arthritis, in dogs.
- You may also depend and rely on some kinds of foods and supplements can help reduce pain, and these supplies may include the following fish oil, glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate, and turmeric.
- You need to also to try as much as you can to keep any kind of medications that are not safe and toxic to your dogs like ibuprofen out of your dog reach.
So, a final word, dogs and ibuprofen, you are not allowed to give your pet or your dog this kind of medication or drug, as it is very toxic to your dog and can be very fatal, and if this happens you need to contact your vet as soon as possible, you have to follow the rules and use the alternatives that we mentioned above in order to save your dog life, and by this, your dog will always thank you.