What Should Be Done If A Dog Consumed Rat Poison?

Our Dog Breeds > Blog > What Should Be Done If A Dog Consumed Rat Poison?

Dogs love to explore the world on long and short walks. But unfortunately, dangers lurk in the undergrowth, as curiosity may have many serious and bad consequences, and the weather gets colder and colder, rats start seeking shelter in warm locations and places, in other words, these places can be your home.

Get Rid Of Rats

dogs and rat

  • Needless to say that trying to get rid of rats is not easy, and also using poison to kill a rat is not an easy mission, and this is because when rats found food they will only eat a small bit and wait for a while, and this mission will be more serious and harder if you are a dog owner or a pet parent.
  • And this is because as we mentioned above dogs love to explore and eat everything they can find, one of the serious consequences of dog’s curiosity is accidental dog poisoning because many common items are toxic to your dog, that’s why, as a dog owner you need to know that rat poison comes in various sizes and shapes. It uses the combinations that make it seems tasteful so that rats would eat, so it can lead to very harmful and serious issues if your dog consumed it.

Chemicals Which Are Harmful To Your Dog

dog poisioning

  • In addition as a dog owner, you need to know and consider what sorts of chemicals, foods, and other items that can harm or pose a risk to your dog, and make them out of its reach.
  • So if you are a dog owner and you are trying to get rid of a rat inside your house, no worries and calm down, this article is just for you, as in this topic we will know everything you need to know about what should be done if a dog consumed rat poison, in addition to the symptoms and treatment, and many more point that will be focused on and revealed, so keep reading this and stay tuned xoxo.

First of all, it is crucial to say that there are different and many types of dog poison, and each type has its own signs, symptoms, and ways of treatments, and this dog poison types may include the following:

Dog Poisons List


  • This is considered to be the most common type of dog poison, as this  s also mainly used by pest control professionals, it also contains Zinc phosphide, this type lead to inhibit the body’s ability to recycle vitamin K, and this  prevents blood clotting, can, of course, kill the dog,
  • Regarding the symptoms and signs, the symptoms may include: breath smelling of garlic or rotten fish, bleeding from the nose, blood vomit, Depression, in addition to, Weakness, seizures, along with loss of appetite, and Bruising on the skin.
  • It is important to consider that the symptoms will take from 2 to 7 days to appear after the consumption.
  • Regarding the treatment, in this case, you will have to provide and supply your dog with repeated injections of vitamin K from three to four weeks,  You may as well apply oxygen therapy depending on the severity of the blood clots.


  • This one is so serious and a life-threatening one, as this increases sodium accumulation in cells c, and it may affect the nervous system, regarding the signs and symptoms, this may include the following :
  • Low appetite, thirst, in addition to, circling, impaired movement, along with limb paralysis, tremors, and seizures, too important point to consider that if your dog consumed a little amount so, in this case, the signs may appear from 1 to 2 weeks, but a large amount is ingested, symptoms will appear within 2 to 24 hours.
  • Regarding this type of treatment, in this case,   you need to know that induced vomiting and activated charcoal are the only treatment, but these actions should be taken as soon as possible.



  • This one is very serious as well, as it leads to too acute renal failure and cardiac problems, because of increased calcium levels in the body, so regarding the signs and symptoms, your dog may experience the following signs :
  • Bad breath, blood in the urine and stool, diarrhea,  in addition to, dehydration, drooling, along with, seizures, tremors, lethargy, and stomach pain, you need to consider and be aware that this poison signs may not be clear for 1 to 2 days.
  • So let’s move on to know this case’s treatment, so in this case, sadly you have to know that there is a very narrow chance of survival for this type of poison, but all in all, you will need to use  IV fluids for two to three days in addition to diuretics, steroids, calcitonin, and bisphosphonates drugs.

Zinc Phosphide

  • This serious type is available to pest removal professional, and its signs and symptoms may include the following:
  • In this case, your dog may suffer from nausea, diarrhea,  in addition to the loss of appetite,  along with convulsions, incoordination, and maybe paralysis, and you need to consider that this type signs may appear in less than an hour if your dog has food in its stomach, and if your dog has an empty stomach, the signs may appear within or up to 12 hours.

Regarding this type of treatment, in this case, you will need to try to induce vomiting or try an internal washing of your dog’s stomach with a 5% sodium bicarbonate solution.

So all in all and as prevention is better than curing, as a dog owner you will need to to keep all poisons, in addition to using other methods of getting rid of pests that may include :

Traps, natural repellents, or you can seek the help of a pest control company.

Leave a Reply