Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and it’s one of the most delicious. Whether you’re enjoying a big pile of pancakes or digging into some scrambled egg and sausage, or even if you are chowing down on a bowl of oatmeal mixed with some milk and fruits, yeah isn’t really so tasty and delicious?!!, this is the real breakfast of champions.
Well, regardless of what you are going to eat, breakfast can be as decadent or as simple as you wish, but you need to be sure that. your furry four-legged friend will probably love breakfast more than you do, and you may find that your dog will be demanding the meal as soon as possible maybe even you wake up in the morning.
Dogs And Oatmeal
So, today we are going to talk about a food which is one of the most popular breakfasts around the world, and, this is oatmeal, it comes from the earth, and of course it goes with a lot of other breakfast foods, so imagine this situation: during the morning while you are enjoying your bowl of oatmeal which is mixed with fruits and milk, you spotted your dog moving around you, and its lovely eyes are begging you to share with some oatmeal, so what are you going to do?
Well, as your responsibly as a dog owner, you need to think million times before serving or introducing a new kind of human food to your dog, you need to search well and to consider everything from the health benefits to the side effects and dangers of this food.
And in this article we will know more and more about dogs and oatmeal, we will focus on to know if is it safe to feed our dogs oatmeal or not? And we will find out more about the health benefits of oatmeal to dogs, in addition to the risks and dangers of overfeeding it, along with some safety rules and tips that you need to follow, so keep reading and let’s get started right away xoxo.
So, the first question in this article that we are going to reveal its answer is, is it okay for dogs to eat oatmeal? In other words, can dogs eat oatmeal safely?
Can My Dog Eat Oatmeal?
Well, a quick and straight answer is, yes dogs can eat oatmeal, oatmeal is really an amazing and safe addition to your dog’s diet, but of course, it should be fed in moderation.
So, it was mentioned above that oatmeal is a safe addition to dog’s diet, and this will lead us to the next question, which is .. what are the health benefits of oatmeal to dogs?
Benefits Of Oatmeal
- First of all, Oatmeal is filled with soluble fiber, which is essential for maintaining optimal gastrointestinal function and in lowering cholesterol levels, also fiber helps intestinal and digestive problems such as constipation.
- Oatmeal as well is an excellent substitute for wheat for animals that are allergic to gluten, in addition, it is stuffed with a number of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B5, folic acid, zinc, iron, and manganese, which all help your dog’s body to extract energy from carbohydrates, proteins, and fats, besides, enabling the body’s enzymes to produce of fatty acids and energy. In addition to influencing the body’s efficient utilization of carbohydrates and proteins, and helping to lower anxiety and depression.
- Oatmeal as well is an excellent source of molybdenum, phosphorus, copper, and biotin, along with being a good source of protein which is great for muscle growth. Needless to mention that the quality of oat proteins lies in the same class of both soy protein and meat protein.
- Also oatmeal has many various and important roles, that may include the following:
- It contains b-sitosterol which is a great anti-tumor compound, it builds the capability to resist infections.
- It has diuretic properties and it is also good for the cardiac health of dogs and boosts the health of the liver.
- It is used as a uterine tonic, in addition, it reduces a chance that dog gets diabetes , and works great for dogs that struggle with obesity and it also lowers the dog’s cholesterol level.
- it also keeps your furry dog coat, fur, and skin shiny and silky, as helps his body to heal, stops his fur to fall.
On the other hand, and despite the fact that oatmeal is really very beneficial to your dog, but it may have some side effects that may include the following:
Risks Of Oatmeal For Dogs
As a dog owner, you need to consider that your dog may have an allergic reaction to oatmeal, and this reaction may have some symptoms that include the following:
- Loss of hair
- Ear infections
- Red itchy eyes
So, if you noticed anything unusual or what we mentioned above after your dog consumed oatmeal, you need to contact your vet as soon as possible.
You should as well skip the idea of feeding your dog oatmeal every day, as this is not okay because it could cause him to have stomach problems like vomiting, be aware that you can handle oatmeal every morning, but your dog definitely can’t, so serve oatmeal to your dog just 2 or 3 times per week.
When you are preparing oatmeal to your furry dog, you have to make sure that you are using just a plain oatmeal that doesn’t contain any sugar or flavor added.so don’t use any creative ideas or flavors with your dog, this may be too toxic for it.
Only serve your dog oatmeal made from whole grain oats.
And just a reminder to keep in your mind, it’s always a good idea to check with your veterinarian before introducing your dog to any new foods.