Can Dogs Eat Raisins?

dogs eat raisins
Our Dog Breeds > Can Dogs Eat > Can Dogs Eat Raisins?

Who doesn’t love food whether us humans two-legged folks  or even our furry four-legged pets, and it is very well known that pets and especially dogs love eating too much they can eat anything they can spot, and as a pet owners and dogs parents, of course, we like to enjoy beautiful moments and share some tasty and delicious food and meals with our pets, but we need to know that sometimes  sharing human food with our pets can turn to be a very bad habit and can lead to many big and serious problems, and this is, because some common human foods can be poisonous for our pets.

That’s why, as a pet parents and dog owners, it is important for us to know which types of foods are safe and which could be dangerous or potentially fatal, if our pets consumed,  so regarding human food, what about raisins??, raisin is a part and very staple part in our childhood moments, our grandparents always gave us   these sticky treats , you can find raisins in many treat and dishes, you can eat a chocolate which is stuffed with raisins, you can eat a cake with raisins, a bowl of cornflake and milk with some nuts, dried fruits including raisins, you can even   raisin bran every morning, or just eat this as a treat or snack.

Raisins and Dogs

raisins

So the point here is that  while we as humans have little-to-nothing to worry about when it comes to gobbling down a handful of raisins, what about our furry four-legged dogs, what if while we are enjoying our raisins as a treat, we found out our dog is spotting your and watching you eating, how can we resist its eyes that are begging to share this treat with is?

Well, if you are wondering and asking, this article is for you, as we are going to talk about dogs and raisins, we will find out if it’s safe to feed our dogs raisins or not? In addition to revealing and focusing on the dangers, risks, and probable side effects of feeding your dog raisins and many more to know. so keep reading and let’s get started right away.

So, the first question in this topic will be .. is it okay to serve raisins to our dogs or not? Or in other words, can dogs eat raisins?

Can Dogs Eat Raisins?

dogs eat raisins

Well, a short answer is, am sorry bad news, no dogs can’t eat raisins, as raisins are very toxic and harmful to dogs and may lead to very bad and serious health issues, and even it can lead to death as well.

So, this will lead us to move to the second question which is what are the dangers and side effects of raisins, I mean what will happen if a dog ate raisins?

Risks Of Raisins For Dogs

raisins for dogs

Well, If your dog has eaten raisins, your dog may suffer from raisins poisoning, that’s why you need to know that your dog may experience the following symptoms:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Loss of appetite
  • Lethargy
  •  Weakness
  •  unusual quietness
  • Abdominal pain
  • Dehydration
  • Foul breath
  • Refusing food, not eating
  • Oral ulcers
  • Stomach pain
  • gastrointestinal failure
  • Tremors
  • Seizures
  • Coma

So, if you believed that your dog ate raisins and you noticed something unusual or the symptoms we mentioned above you have to contact your vet as soon as possible, you have to be as well that your dog may need to induce vomiting.

Treatment Of Raisins Poisoning in Dogs

dogs raisins

The treatment may include also activated charcoal to absorb the remaining toxins in the gastrointestinal system, in addition to intravenous fluids and supportive care.

Another point that should be taken in consideration as well that if  the toxicity has progressed to kidney, in this case, your dog will need intensive IV fluids, frequent blood work, and careful monitoring of its urine, however, you need to consider that if your dog’s kidney is damaged, it can’t be fixed; it can only be managed.

You do know as well that raisins are toxic and harmful to all dog’s breed, age, size, that’s why you have to ban, skip, and stay away from serving and feeding raisins by all means.

Can I Feed My Dog Small Quantities of Raisins?

It’s very known that raisins are very harmful and toxic to dogs, even consuming very small quantities,  moreover being toxic is e associated with the flesh of the fruit. In other words, peeled and or seedless grapes are still toxic.

Needless to say that if your dog ate some raisins, and didn’t show any symptoms or didn’t vomit, you have to   take your dog to the veterinary as soon as possible, as the veterinarian will go for a gastric lavage , your vet as well may need to perfom an administer activated charcoal to deal with any toxin that remains in your dog’s stomach, it is important and crucial as well to go for  institute treatment to protect your dog’s kidneys and ensure that it is not affected .

And finally, as a key rule, as a responsibility as a pet parent and dog owner, you need to make a search and know everything detail about the food that you are going to serve to your dog, in addition to contacting your vet to take its permission and to know if this type of food is harmful to your dog or not .

Related Posts

Leave a Reply