When we think of Thanksgiving table and meals, we normally think about sweet potatoes, sweet potatoes are one of the staples of most people’s diets. They’re just so delicious, you can prepare them in a million different ways and they will still be delicious and tasty, whether you like them or hate them, you can still cook them sweet or savory, just ask yourself who can resist this sweet potatoes that are topped with cinnamon and marshmallows or sweet potatoes chips ??!!!.
But hey, if we love potatoes so much, the chances are that our furry four-legged friends will love it as well, but the question is that can really dogs safely eat sweet potatoes or not? but you need to think twice and consider everything before serving and introducing any kind of human foods to your furry pet, as not all foods humans eat are suitable for our dogs.
Sweet Potatoes And Dogs
So if you are still wondering and asking yourself about the story between sweet potatoes and dogs, in this article you will find out if is it okay to feed our dogs these yummy spuds or not?, also we will find out more about the benefits of sweet potato for dogs, in addition to in which cases this starchy veggie is dangerous for canines, along with some safety rules and tips that should be followed.. so don’t miss this article .. so keep reading and let’s get started .
Okay, so let’s move to our first question in this article, which is can dogs eat sweet potatoes?. Or in other words, is it safe to serve sweet potatoes to my dog or not?
Can I Feed My Dog Sweet Potatoes?
So, if you need a short and straight answer, yes!! Good news, yes, not only dogs can eat sweet potatoes In addition, this should be done in moderation, but also sweet potatoes have many health benefits to our dogs.
Okay, and this will lead us to the second question in this article, which is .. what are the health benefits of feeding my dog sweet potatoes?
Benefits Of Sweet Potatoes For Dogs
Well, Sweet potato is a safe, healthy, and natural treat for dogs, offering a range of health benefits.
- First of all, these sweet and starchy veggies are a bountiful source of essential vitamins including vitamin A, B6, vitamin C, plus being low in fats, in addition, Sweet potatoes are a great source of dietary fiber, which helps dogs to feel full.
- Moreover, sweet potatoes are filled with many essential minerals like potassium, calcium, iron, and fiber, sweet potatoes are also a good source of the antioxidant beta carotene.
- It is important as well to consider that there are many benefits when it comes to your dog eating sweet potato. As sweet potatoes can boost your dog’s sharp vision and even cancer-fighting antioxidants.
- Moreover, many studies have been shown that sweet potatoes can maintain the correct fluid balance in your dog’s body and this helps to preserve nerve transmissions plus muscle functions.
- In addition, sweet potatoes have been found to boost the immune system, also sweet potatoes are known for their ability to fight certain diseases like cataracts, arthritis, and glaucoma. , along with helping dogs recover more quickly from injuries.
- It is important to consider ass well that sweet potatoes are also used to alleviate constipation and diarrhea, depending on the fiber type
So, it’s time to reveal the possible side effects and dangers of sweet potatoes to dog
Risks Of Sweet Potatoes For Dogs
It is important to be aware of the fact that sweet potatoes are high in carbohydrates and sugar, and of course, both can lead to weight gain, and also sugar feeds yeast, which can lead to itching situation.
Also, it is crucial to skip and stay away from sweet potatoes vines, as these vines n cause numerous problems in your dog’s organism and even have poisonous effects, and can lead to serious effects on your dog’s heart, brain, and kidney.
Feeding your dog too much sweet potatoes, can lead to poisoning, and its symptoms may include the following:
- Increased thirst
- More frequent urination
So, if you realized these symptoms and you believed that your dog ate too many sweet potatoes, so you need to contact your vet as soon as possible.
Okay now, let’s reveal some safety rules and tips that need to be followed:
How To Serve Sweet Potatoes To Your Dog?
Well, do not serve raw sweet potato as it can lead to upset and inflamed stomach. So, the best way you can serve your dog sweet potato is to bake it or boil it, with nothing added, so skip and stay away from fats, salts, herbs any of seasonings that can be harmful and toxic to your dog.
Also, you have to know that you need as well just remove the skin before you feed your dog because the skins are very hard to digest, and can lead to serious issues, so make sure the potato is of a soft consistency lessons the risk of choking.
You have to skip and stay away from feeding your dog any raw and unripened potatoes as they may be too toxic to your dog.
You need as well to serve sweet potatoes to your dog in moderation as an occasional treat, general rule of thumb is that added fruits and vegetables should make up no more than 10-20% of your pet’s diet.
And of course before serving any type of human food to your furry four-legged friend, you need to ask your vet, about if your dog has an allergic effect to it, and the portion that your dog should have, and once you took the green light from your dog , feel free to introduce the food to it, but of course not too free, as we mentioned before that moderation is the key.