When it comes to serving and feeding your furry four-legged dogs a healthy snack like fruits and vegetables, this can be a great alternative to standard wet and dry dog food or even some cooked human food, however, As dogs owners and pet parents, sometimes we tend to assume that, as it seems logical that any natural food, like fruits and vegetables, are healthy and good for us two-legged folks, so they must be okay for our dogs to eat but sadly and unfortunately, this incorrect assumption leads to emergency veterinary visits and some serious health issues to our dogs, that’s why it’s important and crucial to do good and very detailed research before tossing your pet or dog any kind of human food.
Cucumber For Dogs
- So, back to a healthy diet and veggies, if you’re keen on a healthy diet and you wanna lose weight and be fit at the same time, it is a good idea to have cucumber as a refreshing and healthy snack.
- it is very well known that cucumbers are a great snack or garnish for humans, and yes, some cool refreshing slices of cucumbers can make the perfect healthy snack for a hot summer day, or any time you want to feel fresh and dehydrated.
- So imagine this situation: while you are relaxing on your sofa and enjoying a bowl that includes some fresh slices of green cucumbers, you noticed that your dog is next to you and watching you, it’s cute lovely eyes are begging you to let it taste a bite of these freshly cut cucumber slices, so here you are stuck.
Is Cucumber Good For Dogs?
- Should you enjoy this moment with your lovely furry dog and enjoy sharing sacks with your dog? Or cucumber might be not okay for your dog and can lead to some serious health problems and unhappy dogs.
- So if you are facing this dilemma, no worries, this article is just here for you, as today we will reveal if is it okay to feed our dogs cucumbers or not?
- In addition to focusing on the health benefits of cucumbers, along with the probable risks and side effects of overfeeding your dog cucumber, and some tips and tricks regarding serving cucumber to your furry four-legged friend, so let’s get started.
So, the first point to be discussed today, it okay to feed our dogs cucumber or not? , in other words, can dogs eat cucumber?
Can Dogs Eat Cucumber?
So, a straight and clear answer, so good news, yes dogs can eat cucumbers, as they are safe for your dog, they are not toxic at all, and they don’t have any downsides.
Okay, this will lead us to the next point that should be revealed which is .. what are the health benefits of cucumbers?
Benefits Of Cucumber For Dogs
- First of all, cucumbers include a good quantity of vitamin K which is good for you dog’s bone health, as it is responsible for building strong bones.
- Also, cucumbers are filled with phytonutrients, which have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, and this may be beneficial for your dog as well.
- It is crucial to mention also that cucumbers can promote a healthy liver and kidney in dogs, and as an added bonus as well, 95% of cucumbers is water weight, and needless to say that water is very crucial and important for dogs, as they need to get dehydrated.
- Moreover, cucumbers are a good source of both phytochemicals and phytonutrients, and these can do wonders in freshening your dog’s breath.
- Cucumbers as well are stuffed with Silica, a which play a vital role in strengthening the joints and connective tissues of a dog, also, Cucumbers are a healthy source of vitamins A, B, C, along with some minerals like magnesium, phosphorous, copper, and potassium, and all of these boost the immune system.
- Needless to say that cucumbers are considered to be a great treat for dogs that are diabetic or on any calorie-restricted diet.
Is Cucumber Safe For Dogs?
- Despite the fact, the cucumbers are healthy snacks, but overeating cucumbers can lead to some serious health issues and problems that may include the following :
- Because cucumber includes an excessive amount of water and fiber, so this can cause loose stool or diarrhea in dogs, you need to be aware that if diarrhea in your dog continued for more than a day, you have contact your veterinarian as soon as possible.
- Your dog may suffer from stomach pain especially if your dog has a sensitive stomach, cucumbers should be chopped and cut into small pieces as large bites can lead to choking hazards.
How To Serve Cucumber To Your Dog?
And now. Its time to know some serving tips and guidelines
So, as we mentioned above the best way to serve cucumber to your dog is to cut it into slices, and serve the cucumbers plain, you need as well to skip and stay away from adding any kind of spices or seasoning or dressing, as these may be very toxic to your dog.
Also, you can as well add some slices of cucumber to your dog’s dinner as a filling garnish to help to feel less hungry and full, you can also use some cucumber slices as an alternative and good option instead of high-calorie dog treats
So, a final verdict, dogs can eat cucumber, but this should be done in moderation, you have also to remember to cut the cucumber into slices before serving to your dog, and if you followed all that we mentioned you’ll be happy knowing that they’re serving to your dog a healthy snack which is low in calories and high in water